On Friday morning I had over 750 units in stock in my Amazon inventory, then when I checked again around lunchtime there were only 5 units available to buy. Alarm bells started to ring.
The strange thing was that when I looked at my stock allocations is said 1400+ units were reserved. Since I only had around 750 units this was very strange. I immediately rang Amazon seller support and after a long time on hold was told that Amazon was moving my stock to different warehouses across the UK. They said this was based off my selling history so now my stock would be closer to customers so orders could be delivered quicker.
I told them I should have been notified about his because to me I looks like my stock had gone missing and my first through was that a competitor was doing something bad, like ordering all my stock (or holding it in their basket) so I was out of stock and could not sell any more.
Even though my listing said only 5 in stock and the fact that on the same day a week before I sold 13 units I was told that I would not go out of stock and customer would always be able to buy. As is has it I sold just 3 units this day, which to me was a little suspicious since that week I sold 13 and the week before I sold 15. Anyway, as I write (Sunday) my sold is still not sorted but my units are still selling. I did 9 on Saturday and 2 already today so hopefully they really are always in stock.
OK this as a bit of a scare but it is all part of the learning process. I am still happy with my ECommerce business on Amazon and have big plans. In fact I am going to write a detailed post about just this soon.
Another dilemma I have is whether to let me stock run out and spend 1 or 2 months out of stock until my next shipment arrives, or should I put the price up to reduce sales and keep in stock? If I do the latter I will stagnate growth because I am starting to get some real traction, but I do not know if or how Amazon reacts to sellers who go out of stock. When my new stock arrives will my status be the same or will I drop and need to rebuild?
If I do put prices up then I will of course make more money. I am waiting until my stock get to 500 units before I decide. But if I raised prices by just £2 then I would make an extra £1000 (roughly because Amazon costs may rise). That £1000 could then be re-invested into new stock.
Away from Amazon I have finally completed the final articles in my case study Amazon affiliate website that I have created as part of my online course. So I just need to format some videos and I should be ready to start promoting this course properly and seeing if I can make some sales.
I still need to get something sorted with my current batch of niche affiliate websites. I need someone to be in charge of content creation and publishing. I really want to grow all websites but I may need to prioritise them. Similarly I really need to get going on my ECommerce brand website to start attracting traffic from Google and making sales this way.
Lots to do but again progress has been made this week.
Finally, my app is going slowly. We have encountered an issue so I think I will suggest that we get another developer on board and pay them to work on things. I will raise this when we speak next.
Until next time