WordPress is the worlds most popular platform on which to build a website and some of the biggest companies in the world use WordPress. WordPress is open source and 100% free software, which means it is continuously developed by many people all over the world and it is accessible to anyone. Most major web hosts have developed special WordPress installation features to make it as easy as possible to install WordPress and start developing a website using their web hosting services.
What makes WordPress so good
While listing every feature would take a very long time, there are a few main features that make WordPress the number one choice for people making websites.
- Easy install & setup: As mentioned, most major web hosts integrate WordPress install into their back-end for super simple install and setup.
- User-friendly: An easy to navigate and understand dashboard makes adding pages and media to your website very easy.
- Widgets: Widgets are drag-and-drop areas that can be placed in specially designated widget areas. These widget areas show up in certain areas of your website, and thus dragging a special widget into these areas means whatever the widget does will show up on your website. For example there is a widget that shows recent posts, which means a list of recent posts can show in specified areas of your website. There are 100’s of widgets that are either default in WordPress or can be installed later.
- Plugins: Plugins can be installed into your WordPress website that add extra features or functions. For example you can get a plugin that create contact forms for pages, or a plugin that creates membership features for you website. Like widgets there are 100’s of plugins that let you do virtually anything with your website.
- Child themes: Child themes style your website, and you simply install and activate a theme that transforms the look and feel of your website. There are 100’s of free and premium child themes which makes it easy to get your website looking just how you want it to.
- Customization: While themes provide a nice design you can customize them even more to meet you needs. Add a logo, change colors and fonts, tweak layouts and more.
- Optimized: WordPress is written using the best web standards and can be used with themes and plugins to add search engine optimization properties, such as meta titles and descriptions.
The WordPress dashboard
The video below introduces you to the WordPress dashboard.
If you want the best platform to start making your website then you need to look at Webthena. Get web hosting set up for you along with WordPress, the Genesis Framework, the premium child theme of your choice, and help & support. All this from just $0.39/day. Check out Webthena now and see the website you could have.